Over the weekend the family and I went to London to celebrate the Queens Diamond Jubilee and we had a great time in the pomp and ceremony of the day despite the lousy weather.
After a long day we were wet, cold and hungry and we decided that as a treat we would visit the oldest fish ‘n’ chip shop in the UK – The world famous Rock & Sole Plaice in Covent Garden. As you know, fish ‘n’ chips is a traditional English dish and it seemed only appropriate that on this special occasion that we stick with tradition. Now I don’t know if you have ever had the pleasure of eating there, but it is considered to be the oldest chip shop in the UK, so you can imagine it was pretty busy. The service was OK, but I thought the meal was fabulous and it certainly hit the button as far as we concerned. We were able to take our time and really enjoy the meal after what had been a very long day. The bill came to just over £100 for 4 of us, which included deserts and coffees etc.
At the table next to us was another family of 4 who were clearly upset at what they considered to be a lot of money for a traditional dish of fish ‘n’ chips, and they were heard complaining that they normally only pay a fraction of that when they go to their local chip shop. As you know, in Covent Garden in London there are many places to go and eat from fine dining to pizza and burger bars, not to mention a few venues where you would be best to wipe your feet on the way out!!!
The interesting thing was that we were quite happy with our meal and did not feel it was appropriate to compare the price we paid with what we would pay at our local shop. I also felt that as there was such a large choice of restaurants and bars in the area it was rather churlish to complain about the price as it was a choice to eat there.
It reminded me of the two types of clients you have to deal with as a recruitment business owner.
First there is what is called the transactional client and this type of client is always looking for the best deal and buys on price and price alone. If another recruitment firm was to offer the service at 0.5% less this type of client would accept as they have no loyalty. These types of clients think short term and see themselves as the expert and have no desire for you as the supplier to make any profit. Their biggest fear is could they get it cheaper somewhere else?
Interestingly, the transactional client also tends to make more demands on you, your company and your time as it is all about what they can get from you. When you work with the transactional client it can be frustrating and certainly tiresome.
Then there is the relational client. This type of client is looking for an expert recruitment firm. They are looking for someone they can trust, someone who will meet all their needs and they value the relationship. This type of client also realises that if they shopped around they would almost certainly find a cheaper option, but that is not the most important factor for them. Their biggest fear is making the wrong choice. The conversation they have with you is about your service with less focus on the price.
As a recruitment business owner you have a choice about who you work with. If you only wish to work with clients who really appreciate what you do and want to work with you on a ‘win win basis then that is your choice.
You can choose to implement a marketing plan that generates warm leads for you easily and effortlessly, or you can choose to make endless cold calls, the consequences of which are that you become almost desperate when a potential client indicates some interest, even if that client has no loyalty to you or appreciation of what you do.
You can choose to click here and get access to marketing tools or you can choose to do what you have always done and get the same results.
It really is your choice.
Please note: any adverts on this page are not connected with drewcoaching.
As a business coach over the years I have been asked many times what it takes to create a successful recruitment business. I always find this challenging because I don’t believe there is only one answer that fits all. What I do know is that there are a number of things that every recruitment business. should do and every recruitment business owner does do to guarantee success.
So with your permission I would like to share what the most successful recruitment business owners do. The good news, you can apply this to any business
1. They must have goals – knowing exactly where your business is going, what it will look like when it is finished is absolutely essential for business success. Unless you know where you are going, how will you know when you get there? Not only that, business goals keep you on track and should motivate and inspire you.
2. Positive Beliefs’ – What ever you believe is true. If you believe you will be successful it is true, if you believe you are going to struggle that is also true. Our decisions and beliefs are not based on reality itself, our decisions are based on our belief of reality. What we do know is that all successful business owners believe 100% in what they are doing.
3. Be true to your customers, potential customers and suppliers – Be always true to your customers, your prospects and your suppliers, exaggerating the benefits of what you sell, and failing to deliver against that can have massive negative implications. As word of mouth marketing is often the primary way that businesses find customers.
4. Understand the importance of sales and marketing and do it effectively – in all the years as a business coach clients will often tell me that their product or service is the best available in the market place. And I tell my client that makes no difference to them, what is actually important is that they have to market the service or product to potential clients. Because it is very rare that potential clients will come to your door just because you have the best product or service. To get more customers you will have to market/sell your product or service effectively and continually.
5. Embrace the web – No matter what your product is there is every chance that your potential customers will turn to the web before they make their decision to purchase with you. That may be Yell.com, Google, Yahoo or MSN. If your customers can’t find you they will give your business to one of your competitors. Remember “social media marketing works” that is why multi nationals use them, also it is free. How good is that when it comes to marketing? And it is a great source for checking out clients and candidates
6. Be realistic in your expectations – yes some people set up in business and become a millionaire over night but that is an exception. They normally send a lot of time setting up and working on the business. Once you have your goal, you know where you are going, you then build a team you will achieve your goals.
7. Taking action – Take action with the respective goal and all the other things I have mentioned it is easy to get stuck in the planning phase, or sit by the phone waiting for clients to call you. What we do know is that all successful business owners take action to achieve their long term goals.
This month we will be looking at a recruitment company in Northampton, who employ 5 consultants and have a turnover of £2 million.
They have turned over that figure for the last 2 years. drewcoaching were called in as it was felt that they were stagnating and not moving on to the next level. On closer inspection it was discovered that the organisation were doing great with existing clients but were not generating any new business, and if this was to continue the would actually go backwards. Upon talking to the consultants we established that getting business from existing clients was relatively easy and they were uncomfortable getting new clients as they feared rejection.
The heart of this whole thing is fear of rejection.
Selling is the heart of the world’s commerce. It is the pulse of the world’s economy.
As a salesperson/ENTRPENEUR/Business leader you have to have the ability to take rejection, often multiple rejections, and still have the strength, attitude, creativity and determination to try again.
It is a fact for most people selling a service or product; more clients will reject your offering than will say yes.
Let me explain the # 1 reason why most people hate selling –
Fear of rejection…
This fear stems from the most primordial human need – the need to be loved and accepted. Yet, if you can get over this fear, it can be one of the most liberating aspects to unleashing the true you. When you let go of the fear of rejection, and replace it with loving and accepting yourself – that is where the magic happens.
How do you overcome the fear of rejection? There are three ways:
- Feel the fear and do it any way (the kamikaze style)
- Be absolutely prepared with proven strategies
- Prepare yourself in such a way that the client wants to buy from you more than you want to buy from them.
Drewcoaching can show you how to do that every time you met your potential clients
And as a salesperson/business leader you have to understand the complexity of sales and selling, or you will never achieve. It’s not about making a sale, or a numbers game. It’s about understanding, preparing, defining, and mastering the strategy of a sale to get your targeted result.
The entrepreneur/business leader/sales person is constantly selling at every step of the way. You are selling your vision to, investors, staff, suppliers, creditors, family and friends. If you are to drive the growth of your company, you need to have your finger on the pulse as far as selling your offering – this is the lifeblood of your business!
Let me reframe that dirty four letter word (sell) for you…
Influencing with Integrity
Who do you know throughout the ages has influenced with integrity.
Let us see… Gandhi, Donald Trump, Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa, Richard Branson, Oprah Winfrey, Jesus, Madonna, Barak Obamah – where would they all be without the quintessential skill of influencing with integrity? (Where would we be if they didn’t for that matter?)
When you can influence with integrity, there is no limit of what you can achieve in your entrepreneurial/ business endeavours.
If you would like to discover the proven technique to guarantee success in influence and integrity please contact drewcoaching: email – firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave a comment in the box below.